VWRX 1303 cab

Présentation de vos projets, les évolutions, les modifs...
ricola
Membres confirmés

Re: VWRX 1303 cab

Message par ricola »

More rust found on the bottom of the door...

and repaired...

More sanding! I have to give praise to the How to guides on www.mig-welding.co.uk for bodywork, especially the ruler trick and also a tip I found elsewhere of adding a bit of fibreglass resin to the filler to make it thinner.

I cut a metal flange piece which was bolted to the body, the remains of the Kamei was then bolted in place and the two bonded together with fibreglass filler. The ends will be reshaped and the whole thing smoothed before I use it as a master to create a mould for a new fibreglass part.
ricola
Membres confirmés

Message par ricola »

Another good day:

All 4 wings in etch...

and two coats of high build primer...

First colour coats! I'll do the final coats and clear with them loosely attached to the body, this is more to just cover the primer so I can put them out of the way while I do the rest of the prep work...

I decided to just finish the wings, the metallic particles are so small I can't see them being painted separately from the body making any difference. I put on some wetter coats of the cellulose metallic and finished off with 3 coats of 1K acrylic clear.

For information, I used a cheapo spray gun for the etch and primer coats, then an Iwata AZ3 HTE2 spray gun with a 1.3mm tip for the colour and clear coats. This was all running from my 3hp 150l compressor that I made up a short copper section with water drain. It has actually given a really nice finish out of the gun with not a single run! A couple of small bits of dirt got in one wing but should easily polish out when it has fully cured. I had to paint the wings in two lots under my workshop porch bit as it was threatening to rain...
ricola
Membres confirmés

Message par ricola »

OK, small update:

Decklid painted, no real problems, although I did sandblast the slats as they were too fiddly to sand nicely.

Bonnet finally painted. I've done this 3 times now! First time there was some striping visible in the colour coat as the passes weren't wet enough to flow into each other nicely. Then I got a really good second colour/clear coat and left it in the sun for a few hours to dry before putting it on some cushions in the conservatory just to have it out of the way but they left imprints all over the bonnet! I had to wet sand it all back and paint for a third time, I'm not doing it again!!

I'm working on the doors now and I've found out why somebody had put a gold pinstripe under the normal sidetrim. They had drilled one of the doors in the wrong place and the stripe was to cover it up! So, filler removed and the extra trim clip holes were welded up. Another useful tip: hold a piece of copper against the back of the panel and the weld won't blow through. I also had to repair a few local bits of the door bottom and the copper strip trick also worked well to stop the weld melting away the metal at the edges.

Doors painted...

More rust uncovered! This is the drain tube from the scuttle area by the wipers, it's a well known rust trap in 1303s so I wasn't too surprised. Repair from the inside of the car was the easiest way to go. Here I have opened out the rusty areas ready to weld new sections in.

To repair the tube I decided to use another trick I saw, bend some copper strip around the part and weld straight onto the strip creating the new section.

The outside surface is smooth (as it went straight on to the copper surface) but the inside needed some work with the die grinder . All good in the end though!

I've been busy doing minor bodywork too getting the main shell ready for paint, nearly there!

Another good day today!

Body now etch primed..
Image Image

and two coats of high build primer!
Image Image

next job to wet sand this back ready for colour...
ricola
Membres confirmés

Message par ricola »

Got the shell in paint today! :D

Image Image

Now I just have to restrain myself for a while to let it fully cure...

Last concentrated burst of activity before I start my new job tomorrow at Jaguar Land Rover (anyone else on here work there?).

I made up a couple of aluminium plates to stop the torsion bars sliding inside, also a small bracket for the 2 new fuel pipes (5/16" kinifer) which ended up clashing with the body so I'll have to redo that!

You can just make out the chargecooler pipes coming out through a new plate at the front of the chassis, I also ran new front and rear brake lines. Instead of the usual cheap rubber body gaskets, I bought a long length of foam gasket and made my own VW style one, didn't take too long, hole punching it as I went to line up with the body mount holes and then glued any ends together with sikaflex.

Body on! I also mounted the bonnet as it was taking up far too much space in my workshop.

The rear frame will get stripped/painted, but that's for another time. it makes a very good carry handle when lifting the body about...

Oh, the colour is Schwartz metallic, the original colour of this car...
prototix
Membres confirmés
Votre German : 1200 1969
1303 1974
Moteur : T4 1910cc
T4 2366cc

Message par prototix »

very good job :boire: :boire: :boire:
tintin13_2
Membres confirmés
Votre German : 1302 71' kansas beige - German soft

Message par tintin13_2 »

when your car will be finishied , it promises to be a perfect german !!

great job mate :thumb:
Alex
Admin

Message par Alex »

doors_windows.jpg
Compte inactif

Message par Compte inactif »

wahou, j'veux la même... :boire:
kev1
Membres confirmés
Votre German : cox 1303
Moteur : nada!!!

Message par kev1 »

ya pas elle claque vraiment celle la :thumb:
coxy-ben
Membres confirmés
Votre German : 1302 berline
Moteur : 1915cc T1

Message par coxy-ben »

finished ???
kev1
Membres confirmés

Message par kev1 »

on dirais bien! à la voir terminée je ne suis pas très fan des jantes que je trouve trop grosses! ni des prises d'air dans les ailes!
ok :arrow: :arrow:
tham
Testeur officiel
Votre German : BUS 1971
Moteur : 2457cc

Message par tham »

+1 POUR LES JANTES
18 et 19 c'est trop gros a mon avis
pour la prise d'air il avait pas trop le choix a cause des glaces arrières coulissantes
:wink:
ricola
Membres confirmés

Message par ricola »

Definitely not finished, I just needed to assemble it all as I am moving to a new house with a bigger garage!

I am very happy with the wheels and air intake :D It will look better with running boards, the modified kamei and wiht the suspension adjusted properly..
kev1
Membres confirmés

Message par kev1 »

sorry :lol: :lol: :lol: but with bbs rs 16"... and air intake from porsche boxster... :biggrin:
ricola
Membres confirmés

Message par ricola »

kev1 a écrit :sorry :lol: :lol: :lol: but with bbs rs 16"... and air intake from porsche boxster... :biggrin:
I couldn't think of anything worse! Good that we all like different things or we would all be driving around in the same car! :wink:
Répondre